Spice Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is vintage gaming?

2 posters

Go down

What is vintage gaming? Empty What is vintage gaming?

Post by monkey_marketer Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:26 pm

What is vintage gaming? Btunne10When can games be classified as vintage? Is it a question of how many decades that have passed since the release of the game? Or is it rather the nostalgic impact that the game has on pop-culture as a whole?

Let me know what you think!
monkey_marketer
monkey_marketer

Back to top Go down

What is vintage gaming? Empty Re: What is vintage gaming?

Post by DemonSkull Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:14 pm

I had some difficulties relating the picture to your post Mad , but vintage gaming is normally known as retro gaming:D Very Happy . It is a term describing the usage of older games and hardware. Such as, commodore 64, PSX and even PS2 games are considered vintage today. Sad
DemonSkull
DemonSkull
Admin

http://spicenetwork.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey_marketer Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 pm

How many years have to pass before things can be considered vintage? My theory is that it comes in 'cultural waves'. Let me try to explain, using music as an example:
In the 1990-2000s music took inspiration from the 1960-1970s, this can be seen with the hip-hop genre that used samples from funk, soul, etc. Essentially culture was based on the cultural artefacts from around 20-40 years earlier.
Currently, in the 2010s, genres like Vaporwave and Synthwave are appearing, that they make use of samples from the 1980s, sometimes even from the 1990s. Again we see the 20-40 year culture gap.

If this is true in regards to gaming, games such as GoldenEye 007, the original Age of Empires and Starcraft would now be considered vintage, with Diablo II and Battlefront II being just on the verge of being 'retro'.
What do you think about this theory? scratch
monkey_marketer
monkey_marketer

Back to top Go down

What is vintage gaming? Empty Interesting point, but the cycle will end

Post by DemonSkull Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Very interesting theory actually scratch

But unfortunately I think that this cycle will end at some point in the future.  When Diablo II was released it was ground breaking, and the same with AOE, but now, everything has been done. And the genres of gaming have been defined. I think that the only development from now on will be in the graphics department, which I personally dont give a fuck about.   Rant over sorry lol!

TLDR Sleep  Evolution of gaming dies
DemonSkull
DemonSkull
Admin

http://spicenetwork.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum